I originally decided that I would try a different quilting pattern in each set of 3 blocks that constitute an actual single block of the quilt. I meandered in one, then tried 'shells', kind of like what Leah Day calls 'Paisley Division', but with only 3 loops per paisley. Then I did little loops that made a pebbly design, but not tight enough to be actual pebbles, or what Jill Schumacher calls 'seed pearls'. I tried making little rainbows, which came out really cool, and which I based on Leah Day's 'Echo Shells'. Then I created my own design, which is based loosely on meandering, but which I call 'Anne's echinoderms', a sort of 'worm-like' version of a meander. Then I tried the one that intimidated me the most - McTavishing. I'm not sure I got it right, but I did the best I could with it. Pivoting designs like that really challenge me because I always want to keep going in the same direction.
Here's a picture showing some of the new quilting: Starting at the upper left and going clockwise, the quilting patterns are: Anne's echinoderms, shells, McTavishing, spirals and rainbows.
The finished quilt now looks like this:
From this photo it's really hard to tell that THAT much additional work was done on it, but trust me, it was hours of extra quilting, plus I had to go in and do detail quilting on the appliques as well, since heavily quilting around them made them all poofy without being trapuntoed and they sagged a little.
I have to say the judge at the County Fair was right - the quilt DOES benefit from additional quilting - thank you judge!!!