The other side of the quilt, I decided, needed a particularly masculine and modern vibe. So this is what I came up with. It is based on a quilt I saw online which used some wonderful fabrics from a line called Curious Nature designed by David Butler. I looked up the line on Google and found some very cool fabrics most of which had a decidedly masculine look to them - hard to find at the LQS! I ordered the fabrics and here is the finished product of side 1 of The Man Quilt:
I paired the fabrics... which are all steel blue, black, dark grey and moss green... with a pale grey tweedy looking fabric. Then I made 9" squares and sewed half-square triangles. It took 48 squares to make the quilt. Then I laid it out in an off-center barn-raising pattern. I am very happy with how it came out.
I am eagerly looking forward to making the other side of the quilt, which will have to be oversized for quilting purposes, as this side is complete as is, there will be no borders on it - I want it to retain that 'modern quilt' vibe.
I hope the recipient will like it.