Pages

Monday, November 5, 2018

Happiness and Quilting


Enchanted Garden, blocks 1-6

I've been a little depressed lately (ever since I got back home from my trip to Europe).  I loved the trip and had a lot of fun, and I loved coming home and sleeping in my own bed again, being with my kitties and my dog and my friends.  But for some reason, I've been somewhat depressed of late.  Can't put a finger on why...

Purrfect Moments, blocks 1-6 (January-June)


However, the past 2 weeks, I've been furiously preparing for a 4 day retreat at the beach house north of Ventura.  Piecing blocks, cutting blocks, tracing and fusing appliques on those blocks... It's been a long two weeks.  Last Weds. I packed up the car with the help of my husband, picked up a friend's stuff to take to the beach (she came on retreat too, just in someone else's car).  We all met at the house, set up our sewing paraphernalia and worked on quilting tasks from Thursday afternoon til Sunday afternoon.  It really works out to 3 days of work time, but we call it 4 days because we're there for four days on the calendar.  Anyway, 31 of us in one house was a little crowded, but we made it work.  (it IS a big house). 

Purrfect Moments blocks 7-10 (July-October)


I found my mood improving incredibly the longer I was there... I think there endorphin stimulators in fabric!  By Thursday night when I went to bed (about 2am) I was pretty relaxed and happy.  By Saturday evening, I was ecstatic over all the work I was getting done and thrilled seeing what everyone else was accomplishing as well.  By the time I got to bed Saturday night (about 1am), I was coming down off the quilting high a little as I contemplated leaving the next day.  I wanted to finish everything I came with, so I made a mad rush to finish all my applique by noon on Sunday... Mission Accomplished. 

Woodland Creatures (blocks 1-7)


But then we all met in one room for show and tell, and while I was thrilled with what everyone had done (some of these ladies did SO much and everything was beautiful!!!), I was starting to get overwhelmed with sadness at the thought of loading up the car and driving home.  Got everything loaded and set off for home (to the tune of grinding brakes, another part of 'real life' that came up the day before retreat - I gladly blocked that out during the retreat).

You Lucky Dog (blocks 10 & ll) - (making one for me and one for a rescue group, Sunny Saints, Saint Bernard Rescue, to auction as a fund-raiser)


Now that I'm home, (auto-less, as the car is in the shop), I'm still in the process of unpacking and sorting and dealing with all the things that built up in my absence (mail, laundry, lots of little daily tasks).  As with my longer trip in September/October, I am glad to be home, sleeping in my own bed and having kitties and a dog (and a husband) to cuddle.  Still, I am sad to not be totally immersed in the making of things.

Strip Joints, Warm - a new finish


I hope this feeling passes... I like the calm happiness (it beats out the sadness hands down, and is even preferable to the euphoria).   Quilting makes me happy... it's gotta be some kind of additive in the fabric.. that's my story and I'm sticking to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Etude de Cabines, my first truly modern quilt

While my EPP has progressed exponentially, and I'm enjoying it a lot - I had to struggle to finish another project - A modern quilt usin...