Pages

Monday, September 14, 2020

Quilting Through the Night

 It's been a long time since I pulled an all-nighter in the studio... oh, sometimes there's a late night here and there... sewing til midnight or one or two... but the all-nighters are rare these days.  Last night, I got so wrapped up in what I was working on, I didn't realize what time it was til 4:45... and then I figured, why bother going to bed?  

It was at least a productive night!  I finished (all but a little applique, which is optional anyway) on the two September blocks for the Murder Mystery 2020 quilt.  I love paper-piecing, so this month's blocks were perfect for me.


As you might guess from the blocks, it is an Egyptian-themed quilt (and an Egyptian-themed mystery too).  Fun to make, and the wings of the one on the left are not white... they are actually gold lame' fabric.

This morning, after a short (15 minute) cat-nap, I finished up the round robin block for my guild (we started these before quarantine, and have been holding the April blocks all this time)... Friday is going to be the reveal (in a park with masks and social distancing), tho I won't be able to attend - I'll be mailing mine in later today.


The first border was to add a triangle, the second border was to add negative space, and the third border (mine) was to add a border that repeated one or more colors from the starting block (the small appliqued square in the middle).  I used a light blue background fabric for the border, and there are small turquoise and royal blue pinwheels in the center block as well, so I made pinwheels of turquoise and royal blue.  I left the cornerstones empty to a) give the eye somewhere to rest and b) leave it open for the owner to applique or quilt something special in the corners if desired.  I hope she likes it (whoever the owner is).  

 My Tula Pink City Sampler fabrics arrived in the mail today (a block of the month I'm working on).  I think I'll let that one wait til tomorrow... I'm beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Etude de Cabines, my first truly modern quilt

While my EPP has progressed exponentially, and I'm enjoying it a lot - I had to struggle to finish another project - A modern quilt usin...