Thursday, September 25, 2014

Ethan's quilt

I have been working sorta kinda on a quilt for a dear friend since April.  He entered the hospital in March for what was supposed to be a 3 week stay.  He JUST got out of hospital and rehab in September.  I have been planning his quilt all this time.  It took me 2 months to settle on just the right pattern and another 3 months to collect the right fabrics for his quilt.  I had to make sure nothing in it was 'girly,' too.  I know that sounds like a lot of time, but he is a printer and a bookmaker, so I knew I wanted books in it for sure (took a while to find good book fabrics), but at the last minute I also found some printers block letters on a print which I HAD to have (put them in the border).  Anyway, it was a long time in the planning stage, then I started actually making it last week.  Here it is, sans binding:
In retrospect, I should have made the borders wider, but I followed the pattern and only bought enough fabric for a 4 1/2" border.  Ah well.

It is quilted in a beautiful gold thread that matches the sashing, and ready for a label and binding now.  I hope to give it to him soon. 

Here's the back of his quilt.  More printy-type stuff and some faux denim.  Used up 4 yards of fabric on the back, which depleted my stash a little...yay!!
In retrospect, the butterflies might be a bit too feminine, but nothing I can do about it now. 

I hope he likes it.  I know his wife will be over the moon over it.  She likes everything I do.

Love you, E & J!



No comments:

Post a Comment