Pages

Monday, September 12, 2022

Making the Same Quilt Twice

I don't often make the same quilt design more than once, unless I do something to make the second one truly unique in some way.  I did that once when I was a new quilter, back in the day - I made the same quilt (in different colors) for each of my nieces, with matching pillowcases.  I loved making the first one... hated making the second one, but I persevered and finished it anyway.  Since then, I've avoided using the same pattern more than once...  

I broke that 'rule' last week.  About a month ago, I made a quilt top for my LAQ in exchange for quilting services... That resulted in this quilt top, which I thoroughly enjoyed making - it was FUN! (I do love Elizabeth Hartman's designs and methods.) 

I needed to make a quilt for a friend, who loves dinosaurs, and my thoughts went to this quilt and my heart just dropped, because I'd already made it once.  So ... I decided to try to overcome my reticence and use the design anyway, but switch it up and use a dark green background.  

I did all the cutting so once I started sewing I could just power through and finish it... and it did take me a day and a half longer to make the second one (I let myself get distracted a bit more often mostly), but I finished it and didn't hate making it!  What a fun and confusing revelation... 

But I think I'll stick to my pattern of not repeating patterns.  I like new challenges and new things to see and do.

The second quilt top looks like this:

I look forward to gifting this one for a holiday gift this winter... Which gives me a month or so to make a back for it and get it to my LAQ. 

Back to putting on the last three rows of the neverending quilt project (yes, you guessed it, it's not quite done yet - but ALMOST).  I will post pics when it's finished.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Etude de Cabines, my first truly modern quilt

While my EPP has progressed exponentially, and I'm enjoying it a lot - I had to struggle to finish another project - A modern quilt usin...