I inserted an empty spool of aurifil through the hole in an old cd and wound the binding around the spool. Then I set the spool, cd and binding onto the upright spool holder on my machine. This makes a great way to hold the binding while I sew it onto the quilt. Here's a few of pictures of what this looks like.
Here are the components - an empty spool from Aurifil Thread, an old cd, and the binding:
Here's the aurifil spool inserted through the hole in the cd:
Then I wind the binding around the spool. This picture shows everything assembled and ready to use:
And here it is, set onto the spool holder on my machine, all ready to start sewing:
I use this method to 'tame' the binding - I can't stand working with a tangled jumble of binding. This method makes it all hands free while I sew. The binding just unwinds like thread off a spool while I sew.
When you're done, the left over binding just slides right off the spool, and you can store these prewound binding scraps for use in scrappy bindings later on.
I had my friends over for Mah Jongg today, so while I sat out a couple of games, I sewed on the most of the binding, finishing it up after they left. Tonight, I did the hand sewing on one side. Three sides to go.
I am hoping to have it all done by October 29th. We are having a 'reveal party' for those who were involved in the block of the month series that resulted in this quilt. I shouldn't have any problem finishing up by then. However, until I hear back from Road to California on whether or not the quilt has been accepted, I can only work on it in cat-free environments. This means working on the hand sewing at home is just out. I will work on it during class time. If the quilt IS accepted, I want to have to do as little de-furring as possible.
Anyway - hope the little tutorial on how to tame binding helps someone. Have a great weekend everyone.