Pages

Friday, June 14, 2013

Flower Power

I designed and made this quilt for my guild to use the 2 1/2" strips of floral fabrics we exchanged among members.  I know it's not a 'new design', but normally it's made with squares and 9-patches, and I designed a method of piecing it using the strips.  Probably not entirely original there either, but really, not much is anymore.... I did my best. 

Anyway, I called it 'Flower Garden' and it was very popular among the guild, I saw a lot of them made up after the exchange and they were each unique and very beautiful.  This is the first quilt I've ever made with floral fabrics, and probably my last.  I am not a big fan and don't collect florals, so here is my one and only floral quilt:
I finally got it bound on Wednesday, and it's ready to go to its new home, which is probably with the daughter of a friend, who just graduated high school.  I will wait to give it to her until after she's moved, which will be coming soon - why give her something else she's just going to have to pack and move.  She doesn't know she's getting it, so it will just be a late graduation present.  It's not her colors really - like me she's into black and dark things, but I hope she'll like it anyway.

Tonight I'm going to see a production of California Suite, which I haven't seen in years, so it should be fun.  Next week begins the Southern California Quilt Run, more fun!  Mid-July, I'm going to Sisters, OR for their annual one-day quilt show.... and I'm off to San Francisco for the Japan Film Festival at the end of July.  In August begins a rush of Anniversary and Birthdays... I'm going to be busy busy for the next several weeks.

To top all this off, my doctor wants me to have some surgery and I have NO idea how I'm going to fit it all in.  Sigh. 

And when, in all this, am I going to have time to SEW???  I will just have to make time.  I am working on another UFO (only the binding left).  I have two quilts at Stovers that will need binding when they come back, and a pile of tops I have no idea what I'm going to do with... Gah!!!

I'm glad my two BOM projects are both applique - they go pretty quick and no hand sewing so I can trace and fuse and cut and press in odd times and hours when I have a few minutes here and there.  Just the edge stitching requires some time at the machine, but I'm sure I'll be able to work that in sometime... 

I'm glad my husband has a hobby of his own (amateur radio) to keep him busy, so at least I have time when I am home, I'm not catering to his whims all the time... I highly encourage hobbies in husbands for quilters.  I know too many ladies whose husbands take up so much of their time, they can barely work in some quilting time.  OTOH, there are times when I wish we spent more time together, so I can see both sides of that equation too...   I guess there is no real solution, eh?

I hope if you're reading this, that you have enough time for quilting and everything else in your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Etude de Cabines, my first truly modern quilt

While my EPP has progressed exponentially, and I'm enjoying it a lot - I had to struggle to finish another project - A modern quilt usin...