Pages

Monday, November 4, 2019

Binding Marathon and Coping

I started attending a guild day retreat (8am-8pm) for three days (today, Tues and Weds).  I only got to stay til 2pm today due to some bad news from my doctor.  Had to leave to go to his office... but while I WAS at the retreat, I managed to finish two quilts... Still have several more to work on during the retreat... and anything I don't finish, I'll work on during a second retreat that starts on Thursday (a sleep-away retreat this time) and goes til Sunday.

First quilt is named "Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler" (aka 'On Ringo Lake'), Bonnie Hunter's mystery from 2017.  It's been quilted for some time, just waiting for binding and a label... done and done. 


If you're familiar with Bonnie's original color scheme, obviously I changed things up some, ended up with Mardi Gras colors, hence the name.  Fun to make, but not her easiest mystery.  Getting the sashing strips pointing the right way in each row was a pain, but I am happy with the result.  Pic is prior to quilting.

Second quilt is called "Speedwell".  Not sure why, but that is the name that the pattern was under at Moda's Bakeshop site.  Since I couldn't think of a different name, I let it stick. Was fun and easy to make, but probably not something I'd repeat unless someone saw and REALLY wanted it in different colors. 



As for the doctor thing, I got a positive test for cancer and the doctor wants to confirm it with additional testing as the original test could be a false positive.  I'm trying to be hopeful and keep a positive outlook, but it's hard to get my mind off it, and all the possible avenues and eventualities.  When it comes right down to it, it makes you re-evaluate your life and purpose and legacy... Lots to think about and not necessarily something I want to dwell on... I'm not ready to give up, but sometimes you have to accept the inevitable.  I know I don't want to leave my family with a legacy of pain and enfeeblement.  Nor do I want to leave them with a houseful of stuff they won't know how to even want to deal with (like fabric, machines and lots of other stuff I've collected over 60+ years).  My husband and son deserve better.

No matter what happens, I will keep on quilting til I can't anymore... it gives me pleasure, it keeps me focused and moving forward, and I have lots of stash to use up...

 







2 comments:

  1. The "C" word is very scary! Thinking good thoughts, for you, a fellow Stashbuster.

    ReplyDelete

Etude de Cabines, my first truly modern quilt

While my EPP has progressed exponentially, and I'm enjoying it a lot - I had to struggle to finish another project - A modern quilt usin...