Pages

Thursday, November 29, 2018

Making a Mystery

I love making mystery quilts.  I'm not sure why... after all, not every one is a gem, some are very disappointing, but others are simply amazing and just 'sing'... Some designers are more dependable than others in the type and complexity of their mystery designs, too.

Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville fame is one of the best!  Her designs are always unique, complex and lots of fun to make.  She designs a mystery quilt every year, with the first clue coming out on Black Friday, subsequent clues releasing on following Fridays.  (Note: it's not too late to join the fun, clues remain free til the quilt is done sometime in early January).

Clue 1 was to make a bunch (no numbers here, if you want to play, go to her site, and click on 'Good Fortune' in the menu) of 4-patches (no dimensions here either).  I made a bunch and then some, (12 extras just because I cut a little too much fabric, and I don't know how they are going to be used... if they are going to be sewn into rows of 4-patches, having a few extras means less chance of the same fabrics touching as I have more to choose from near the end).




Anyway, clue #2 comes out tomorrow and I am SO ready to play!  Can't wait to see what comes next and what colors we're going to be working with for our next clue.

Note: Bonnie's colors don't usually agree with my aesthetics, so I change them up, and this year was no different.  I chose lime green, turqoise, purple and pink with white (see below) instead of hers, which were orange, red, blue and green with a neutral.



If you want to see what others are making for these clues, check out Bonnie's Monday Morning Link up on her blog.

Here are a couple of previous Bonnie Hunter Mysteries to give you an example of what you might be making.  This first one is 'On Ringo Lake' (my colors, not Bonnie's), her 2017 mystery:


This is En Provence, Bonnie's 2016 mystery, in her colors, which I didn't like but used anyway...  Love the design, tho!:


So come play!!!  It's fun!  And lots to learn about cutting and sewing techniques!!!  Bonnie always has something to teach about efficient ways to cut and use scraps as well as just quilting techniques in general. 

7 comments:

  1. So sweet. I love your colors, and I'm thinking of bringing in green tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great read! I'm so ready for clue 2 too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your color scheme and all of your four patches look great. Your ORL is also amazing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your colour scheme looks great! I love your Ringo Lake colours too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice color selection! I'm changing a few of mine too, as always. Wish I had more purples. What size are you making yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!.... I'm starting with her dimensions, and I'll see what the reveal looks like... If possible, I'll add a row or two so it's not square.

      Delete
  6. When I saw that you used lime green for your 4-patches, I had to read your blog entry. I really like to change up Bonnie's colors to my own, which seem to be the same as YOUR colors! I decided on lime, aqua, purple and orange (the last, just because I want to keep a toe in Bonnie's colors) but I'm LOVING your pink idea! I used purple for Part 1 and was going to wait until Part 2 to decide which of the other colors to use. Should be any minute now...

    ReplyDelete

Etude de Cabines, my first truly modern quilt

While my EPP has progressed exponentially, and I'm enjoying it a lot - I had to struggle to finish another project - A modern quilt usin...