Pages

Saturday, November 17, 2018

Word(s) for the year, 2019

It is time to choose a word for the year to inspire my creativity, passion and enthusiasm. While they are nice words in their own right, they are goals, not a means to achieve them. I have been thinking hard to come up with something different than the ones I have chosen in the past – Journey, Focus, Passion and so on.

This year, disgusted by the rising open displays of hatred, anger, impatience and disrespect in our world, I have decided that one of my two words is going to be KINDNESS. I am going to offer kind words, kind thoughts and kind deeds, hoping to brighten the days of others, and help them know that someone cares.

My other word is kind of related in a way, but it is going to be POSITIVE. I want to put positivity into the world (yes, I know that’s not really a word, but I’m making it one!). I find that I’m angry a lot lately… mostly at the daily news, so I am going to try to channel this anger and use it to spark positive change in myself and those around me. When I see something wrong, I’m going to try to be proactive and try to change it instead of quietly seething and letting the anger disturb my serenity. At the same time, I need to be somewhat sensitive to other people’s issues. It’s important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong. This is all going to be hard for me, because I don’t like confrontations. They terrify me. I want to overcome that and learn to keep my cool while doing it. Wish me luck!

I know these things are not really quilting related, though in a way they can be depending on how and when they are applied. KINDNESS and POSITIVITY can spread to others when applied liberally in ANY context.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Etude de Cabines, my first truly modern quilt

While my EPP has progressed exponentially, and I'm enjoying it a lot - I had to struggle to finish another project - A modern quilt usin...