Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Blindsided

Today I got a letter from the IRS saying I owe them over $8000 including interest for 2009.  After carefully researching my return, going over it with a fine-toothed comb, I contacted TurboTax.  I went over it all with a TurboTax representative.  Somehow the program invented withholding on form 1099B, which I never got, nor filled out information for in TurboTax... it just magically appeared there.  Needless to say, I got a huge refund in 2009 which I wasn't entitled to, and now I have to pay it back.  Bleah... at least the TurboTax rep agreed that Intuit should pay the interest since it was a calculation error in the program.  I still owe $7830.  I could cry....

Needless to say, I think I'm going to skip the Long Beach Intl. Quilt Show this year... save my money and stay home.  I can't afford the parking, I can't afford to be tempted to buy anything, and I am too depressed to think about doing something fun.  I need to stay home and sew ... get myself out of this overwhelming funk. 

Maybe if I finish (or at least work on) a quilt or two it will help raise my spirits.   Something about working with fabric seems to produce endorphins for me, much like runners get from running...

I do wish quilting were as aerobic and healthy as running or exercising.  I DO keep my ironing board and sewing machine in separate rooms so I have to get up and walk to press, same with my cutting table.  Which isn't to say I won't have them placed closer together when I get my studio done, but for now I get some exercise going from one to another. 

overall mood today:  bleah  ... sums it up perfectly.

2 comments:

  1. Holy Sh*t! That is crazy. Hmm, what if you sold some stuff on Etsy? You could maybe make some fast small projects? Or, if you have lots of followers, do up the coolest doll, lap or bigger quilt you can and post on your blog promoting people to bid on it on Ebay? It could be "The lets stay away from the IRS Bid Campaign"?? No matter what you do, although it seems like the world is crumbling, its just money, you cannot take it with you and people out here care about you. Not to mention, things have a way of working themselves out, sometimes it takes what feels at the time as forever, but they do and this will pass.
    Big Hugs,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's any consolation I got the same letter April 15th of this year for 2009. There was apparently some 1099's that I didn't get from investments and even though they reported them, I didn't. I owed quite a chunk of change and it had to be paid by May 1. I made it by the skin of my teeth.

    ReplyDelete

Etude de Cabines, my first truly modern quilt

While my EPP has progressed exponentially, and I'm enjoying it a lot - I had to struggle to finish another project - A modern quilt usin...