Pages

Friday, May 17, 2019

Challenges

Wow... I attended my guild meeting last Wednesday... It was the day of the challenge reveal. I won first place!!!  This was my entry:




 I can't believe it, because there were some pretty awesome quilts!!! In fact, they were all wonderful! Anyway, since the theme was 'the beach', the prizes were some beach themed totebags... Since i won first place, I got first pick (each one was different)... love my new tote bag... Of course winning has a downside.. it means I have to run the next challenge in 2 years (we alternate years - one year is the challenge, the next year, we do a round robin, then back to challenge and so on)...

Last Wednesday, I took a little trip to a LQS that just happens to carry every color of Moda Grunge... dangerous!... I didn't go there for Grunge though... I picked up a few pieces of sale fabric and one other piece, and while just perusing the Grunge aisle casually, it occurred to me that the Harry Potter quilt would look awesome in Grunge, with a starry Grunge background. Sigh...  So, I got out my trusty phone (what we do without internet access on the go?!?) and looked up the fabric requirements for the HP quilt... I bought everything I'd need and walked out with 2 huge bags of fabric...

I waited til Saturday to start making the Grunge HP quilt, but since then, I've been making 2 blocks a day.  I'm doing last Saturday's block (#17) in both colorways today, so I'll be all caught up before the new block is released tomorrow.  Here is a pic of the first 12 blocks in Grunge (I didn't have room on the wall for the other four blocks that are done)



It frightens me a little that I can do THIS much sewing (normally I don't... it's not for lack of time (obviously). It's not for lack of projects to work on.... I've got a zillion (okay - about 60) UFOs, not to mention kits not even started yet... and fabric galore to choose from for non-kit projects. Where is my inspiration, my enthusiasm, my initiative??? Usually lost somewhere between TV, computer and napping... I've really gotta work on being a self-starter!!!

 (btw- If you're wondering why there is a gap between the blocks in that picture, that is our door to the backyard, so 1/3 of my design wall is on the left side of it, the other 2/3 is on the right side... We do have other doors to the outside, but they are less convenient (big sliders in the game room, but harder to unlock and use, and we DO try to keep the dogs out of there, so we don't want them using it as their path to the outside) - so I'm stuck with a door in my quilting room in the middle of my design wall.  Not ideal, but better than no design wall at all! 

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the win! :) That's awesome. Also, Harry is looking pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The challenges are the best because they motivate you to work even harder! Hard work pays!
    CTNBEE | ctnbee.com/en

    ReplyDelete

Etude de Cabines, my first truly modern quilt

While my EPP has progressed exponentially, and I'm enjoying it a lot - I had to struggle to finish another project - A modern quilt usin...