Pages

Saturday, May 4, 2019

Friendship Stars and Sample Blocks

Kind of busy quilting and other activities too since my retreat a few weeks ago. Saw this block on facebook, and figured out how to sew it... made a sample block from some dot pattern strips I had from an old exchange.  Haven't decided if I want to do more or not.. it's pretty, and an easy 4-patch block, but do I like it enough to repeat it?  A friend suggested putting it on point... maybe I should put it in EQ and find out of that works...


So that's what I did.. came up with three layouts... a straight set with no sashing... kind of blah... a straight set with sashing... a bit better, but I think would look even better with different fabrics in each block and just a constant background... and on point with sashing, I think my favorite of the three... Maybe I will make some more blocks... but I will play some more with it before I make a final decision.

Straight set, no sashing, my least favorite of the three:



Straight set with sashing... not bad, but not great:


My favorite of the three, on point with sashing and cornerstones:


 Then, started the friendship stars top, probably for a donation quilt, made from a Tula Pink layer cake and some greys from my stash. Today, I spent all morning sewing a grey piano key border for it... still have some piecing to do to make the strips long enough to miter the corners... Tomorrow, I'm headed off to see Fiddler so more sewing will mostly have to wait til Monday. Kinda tired now, but might do some sewing later today too.




As for finishes? not so much... sigh... procrastinating a lot lately, esp. on bindings and quilting... making tops is easier...

1 comment:

  1. What a fun block - when you put it in all of those layouts - you have a lot of options!!!

    ReplyDelete

Etude de Cabines, my first truly modern quilt

While my EPP has progressed exponentially, and I'm enjoying it a lot - I had to struggle to finish another project - A modern quilt usin...