Pages

Monday, August 19, 2019

Trying Something New - Magic Binding!

Trying something new can be a daunting step, but how else do we progress and learn?  I decided to take the plunge and try the 'Magic Binding' method on my Square Deal quilt.  It works great!  and I loved the process.  Probably won't use it every quilt I make, but definitely will do it again.  I did learn that it cuts off points that go to the edge of the quilt (see the picture below), so it may not be appropriate for all pieced borders, but it is a really good method for a quick binding with a nice finished look with the illusion of piping around the edge.



As you can see in the picture it did cut off the points of the square in a square cornerstones... Still, I like the look of it.  It's fast, too, since it is all finished by machine, no hand-sewing at all!  Maybe a few extra steps to get the binding ready, but it's SO worth it.  

Here is the link to the you-tube tutorial on magic binding:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8N6nv90H2c

and here is the link to the written tutorial (with pictures) for those, like me, who have trouble following video instructions:  http://www.52quilts.com/2012/05/tuesday-tutorial-susies-magic-binding.html


No comments:

Post a Comment

Etude de Cabines, my first truly modern quilt

While my EPP has progressed exponentially, and I'm enjoying it a lot - I had to struggle to finish another project - A modern quilt usin...