Pages

Sunday, October 6, 2019

Mixed Media Applique



A question was asked in an online group of which I'm a member regarding mixing cotton and wool appliques on cotton background.  I can't do wool applique (allergic), so I substitute bamboo felt, which comes in many lovely colors and has the thickness and general feel of wool, tho it lacks the marled look that wool can have.  I love working with it, and use it frequently, combining the bamboo and cotton in the same quilt frequently...   

Here are some examples of quilts in which I've combined cotton and bamboo felt.  The first is called 'Pumpkin Hill', a Bunny Hill design... I love squirrels and wanted to do this quilt the minute I saw the design.  THe brighter orange pumpkins are all bamboo felt.


This quilt is another Bunny Hill design (with squirrels of course).  It is called Henrietta Whiskers.  In this quilt, the stars and leaves are bamboo felt. 

So, my answer is, YES, you can combine the different thicknesses, textures and colors of mixed media in applique on cotton.

1 comment:

Etude de Cabines, my first truly modern quilt

While my EPP has progressed exponentially, and I'm enjoying it a lot - I had to struggle to finish another project - A modern quilt usin...