Pages

Monday, December 16, 2019

Philanthropy

I make the occasional quilt for charity, but not so many.  I don't feel bad or guilty for not making more for charity - I make what I like and try to challenge myself with new techniques or new quilts.  I'm not always willing to let those go to just 'random' people.

However, during a recent health scare, I realized I really don't have a strong attachment to a lot of quilts I've made and if something should happen to me, I don't want to leave piles and piles of quilts for my husband to deal with.  I contacted several folks on Facebook through a local group and have given away about a dozen quilts this last week.  I feel a little liberated.  

Below are pictures of the some of the ones I gave away.  Every quilt went with care instructions, and lots of love (and a disclaimer regarding cats and dogs, in case of allergies).  Unfortunately, I didn't have pictures of all the quilts, but that's okay...

This first one was very special.... the first Saturday Sampler I ever did, from Cotton and Chocolate Quilt Shop.  I loved the process and learned a lot from it (I was a very new quilter when I made this, back in about 2006 or 7).  I called it 'Home for the Holidays' and gifted it to my mother in law.  After she passed and my father in law moved into an assisted living facility, it came back to me.  I thought it needed a new home.  This one went to a lady in hospice care after a stroke.  She is always cold and her caregiver wanted a Christmas quilt for her.  Since I didn't have a picture of this one in my files, I took a quick shot before it went away to its new home.

 This quilt is the pattern Bonnie Hunter calls 'My Blue Heaven', but I called my version 'Starry Night' because it reminded of Van Gogh's painting more than a blue and white vintage quilt.


 This next quilt is called 'All Roads Lead Home' and went to a woman who wanted something for her mother in law.  I hope she likes it.  The pattern is vintage, but the fabrics are modern... I love mixing things up.


 All the rest of the quilts below went to kids who needed quilts for the winter. 














No comments:

Post a Comment

Etude de Cabines, my first truly modern quilt

While my EPP has progressed exponentially, and I'm enjoying it a lot - I had to struggle to finish another project - A modern quilt usin...