Pages

Monday, November 2, 2020

Shiny & New

Another shiny new project to deflect and distract my mind from the ills of the world.  We all have our own opinions and, as is my general habit, I'm not going to start talking politics here, just suffice it to say that come Nov. 3rd, things will change regardless of the outcome of this election.  I am not looking forward to the backlash either, no matter the outcome.  So... back to my escape:  quilting...


These are the first to blocks in the Hedgies block of the month.  When I first saw these blocks, I HAD to make them.. Just too cute.  Block one is the October block... Little hedgehog with his pet bat.  I still need to give the bat pupils (black french knots in the eyes), and the hedgehog gets button eyes (after quilting, what is showing here are little eyelashes that I embroidered on). 


The pieced blocks are alternate blocks that go in between the hedgie blocks. Below is the first of the pieced blocks. 


I think I'm gonna love this project!  Fun and easy applique (they come prefused and laser cut, though they DO use heat and bond which makes for a stiff quilt imo), easy piecing, too.  The hedgie block is supposed to have teal corners sewn on, but they are using a unitasking tool to make what they call 'folded corners'.  I will wait til I know the correct size of the corner pieces before I piece them on the old-fashioned way.  They call them 2" folded corner pieces, but I'm not sure if they mean 2" finished or 2" cut.  2" cut will make for a smaller corner once the blocks are sewn into the quilt.. 2" finished means I will probably have to cut 2 3/8" squares to have them finish at 2" in the quilt.  So, since the designer didn't actually know when I called her, I will wait and see, so for now, no teal corners... I'll just save the fabric for the corners til the end.  

PS if you like the project and are interested in doing one yourself, google 'Stitches of Love' and look for their 'Hedgies' quilt on their website.

1 comment:

  1. What an ADORABLE project! Hey, those teal corners - looking at the BOM page for this, they match the size of the HSTs in the pieced blocks, forming a unified chain when it's assembled. So they should be the same size as those. :)

    ReplyDelete

Etude de Cabines, my first truly modern quilt

While my EPP has progressed exponentially, and I'm enjoying it a lot - I had to struggle to finish another project - A modern quilt usin...