Pages

Friday, February 28, 2014

Finding a quilter and my Oscar predictions

So, I'm looking for a longarm quilter to quilt my Woodland Creatures quilt.  I advertised on a group I belong to and found a few that might be able to do the job, so I'm happy about that.  I did find another through a Facebook post.  I got to see the quilting done by the founder of Bad Ass Quilters Society, Maddie Kertay.  (see the post at this site for a peak at her quilting).  Her quilting is just divine, and I got goosebumps just looking at what she'd done on other quilts, but then she posted in the interview I was reading that she no longer takes customer quilts.  Waaaah!  So I'm back to my original bunch, among whom, as I said, there are a few who seem to be able to do what I want.  I will probably be thrilled by what gets done, so I'll be happy with it, I'm sure.

I got the two side borders all pressed, and ready to have the motifs sewn down, just need to get the borders to the machine and get to it!  Maybe I will get some of it done next week.

Saturday I have classes to attend, and then our weekly Dungeons and Dragons game.  We'll probably be playing til at least 6pm or so.  I'll most likely be too tired to sew much after that.

Sunday I am going to an Oscar party, so I might be able to sew in the morning a bit.  We'll see... but no promises until next week.

The borders are so long I can't even photograph them yet.  I can't reach high enough on my design wall to hang them vertically so they don't drag on the ground.  My DH probably can... using a step stool, but he has an amateur radio event this weekend and I hate to interrupt his radio time.

Here is a picture of the finished quilt - you can see the side borders in it, though these are not ones that -I- made.

Woodland Creatures with all borders complete.

Quite the busy appliqued borders but I'm really happy with the way mine came out.  Can't wait til the edge stitching is all done and the embroidered elements are complete so I can all them done-done.

Sunday is Oscar night, so I thought I'd share my predictions.  I wonder how many I will get right.  I won the pool at the party last year, and the year before, so I'm hoping for a three-peat.

My predictions for 2014:
Best Pic – 12 years a slave
Best Actor – McConaughey
Best Supp Actor – Leto
Best Actress – Blanchett
Best Supp Actress – Nyong’o
Best Anim Feat – Frozen
Best Cinema – Gravity
Best Costume Design – Gatsby
Best Director – Gravity
Best Doc Feat – 20 feet from stardom
Best Doc Short – The lady in number 6
Best Film Edit – Gravity
Best Foreign Lang – The great beauty
Best Makeup/Hair – Dallas Buyers club
Best Orig Score – Gravity
Best Orig Song – Frozen
Best Prod Design – Gatsby
Best Anim Short – Get a horse!
Best Live Act Short – The Voorman problem
Best Sound Edit – Gravity
Best Sound MIx – Gravity
Best Visual FX – Gravity
Best Adapt Screenplay – 12 years a slave
Best Orig Screenplay – Her

No comments:

Post a Comment

Etude de Cabines, my first truly modern quilt

While my EPP has progressed exponentially, and I'm enjoying it a lot - I had to struggle to finish another project - A modern quilt usin...