Pages

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Run for the Border

I finally finished the last blocks for my Autumn Joy quilt.  Since it was a BOM, all I had to do was keep up month by month... I did manage to keep up most of the time, and the center of the quilt is finally finished.

I wasn't happy with all the fabrics the shop us to make the quilt with, so some months, I substituted my own fabrics for some of the parts and motifs.  Based on that experience, I didn't buy the 'finishing kit' for the quilt from the shop.  I dug into my own stash and found a nice medium green for a first border.  It seemed to brighten up the quilt somewhat, so it seemed a good idea.

Here is the quilt top with the first border added:

Autumn Joy

The strip of red to the left is another fabric I'm auditioning for the outer border, which will have leaves appliqued in the corners.  This fabric is actually a brick read with off-white crackles running through it.  It looks nice with the quilt, but I'm trying to steer away from a Christmas-y look.

I could use some opinions...  and ideas if you can think of another color that might look good with this quilt instead of the brick red... I really don't want to change the first border color though, I like the medium green.   Help?

3 comments:

  1. I don't think the red looks Christmas, I think red maple leaves in the fall. you could maybe try a light neutral like your moon or daisy petals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I kinda like the idea of a light neutral! Maybe I can find something in my stash that looks good.

      Delete
  2. I like the light blue for a second inner border, then the red. Does not look like Christmas to me either!

    ReplyDelete

Etude de Cabines, my first truly modern quilt

While my EPP has progressed exponentially, and I'm enjoying it a lot - I had to struggle to finish another project - A modern quilt usin...