Pages

Friday, March 6, 2020

Is a Round Robin a UFO?

I'm doing Pat Sloan's March Madness (completing a simple task every day in March).  Today's task was to work on a UFO.  I chose to work on a round robin block today, but I am in a quandary... is a round robin technically a UFO?
  • For anyone who doesn't know about Round Robins, here's the skinny:  Everyone involved in a round robin chooses a block or UFO project (usually just an orphan block) to use.  These blocks are distributed each month to a new recipient to add something to that month.  In some Round Robins, it's carte blanche to whoever gets it, sometimes your goal is stated in the instructions... But the task is to add something to the block that month - it might be a border (that's typical) or some applique or changing the orientation of the block (e.g. putting it on point).  You do something to a different block each month, and at the end, you get your own back, ready to quilt!  (hopefully).
I have chosen to call it a UFO (after all it is SOMEONE's ufo), and mine is being worked on by someone else.  In this particular round robin, our goal is stated for each month in the instructions.  For example, in month one, it was to add at least one triangle to the project.  (As you can see in the photo below, the first recipient of this block added four borders (two light and two dark) with an inset triangle in one border).  Month two (this month), our goal was to add negative space.  I thought about putting it on point, but that would require a LOT of fabric, make the block very big, and tilt the pictures in the nine-patch, so I decided against that.  I added instead two borders, one light, one dark, in colors already in the block, and with mitered corners where the colors met. 





Because I used batiks, the borders I added are a little 'busy'... I hope they still qualify as 'negative space for the eyes to have someplace to rest'.  I'm calling it done for the month.

I don't have a 'before' picture of the block I put in the round robin... and I missed round one, so maybe I won't get a triangle border, but we'll see what happens... but I WILL have a picture of the finished project when I get it back at the end!  Can't wait to see it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Etude de Cabines, my first truly modern quilt

While my EPP has progressed exponentially, and I'm enjoying it a lot - I had to struggle to finish another project - A modern quilt usin...