Pages

Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Still More Time to Sew

This self-distancing thing is getting old fast.  Still, I'm getting a lot done.  I'm doing so many mystery and sew-along projects right now and blocks patterns for these are coming at me almost daily it seems like.  One of my 'projects' is Pat Sloan's 'Crazy Quilty March' where we have a task to do every day... sometimes it's tidying something, evaluating something, or finding something.  Yesterday it was to make something - a shamrock mug rug.



I was just going to make the block, but then it looked too small for a mug rug (big enough for a mug, but not for a little plate with a goodie on it), so I added a square piece of matching fabric to one side, and actually quilted and bound it yesterday (picture in the current folder).  I also made 5 blocks for the Thimblecreek mystery.


Fun and colorful, and  Dutchman's Puzzle has always been one of my favorite blocks.  I even enjoyed making the strippy flying geese!

I also did some work on a project for a friend (sewing velcro on a table cover, to prevent slippage).  Now I have to figure out how to get dog slobber off his felt table cover... sigh.. I DO love my St. Bernards.

Also, I found time today to make Pat Sloan's 'Childhood Games - Monopoly' block (#8 in the sew-along series).  Even though I really hate pink, I wanted to use cat fabric and this was the first directional one I found in one of my cat fabric bins.



Last night, I re-counted my hexagons for my hex quilt, and discovered I only had 789.  I thought I was up in the 800's already, very disappointing.  I need 990 (an educated guess at the number needed for a california king bed - they are big hexagons).  So I will have to cut more cat fabrics up... and I'm not sure if I have enough cat fabrics left to avoid repeating pictures in the hexies.  I may have to ... *gulp* ... buy more cat fabric.  I've been trying to not do that, sigh.  Not that there's anything wrong with buying more cat fabric, but I'm trying to maintain a budget here.  A lot of fabric is not in that budget and what there was, I already spent on Tula Pink's new fabrics for a challenge quilt.  What to do? - other than sew up more hexagons with the cat hexes I've already cut... (I think I've got about 20 or so more to make before I run out).

At least, if I run out of cat hexes, I will still have plenty to do with all the mysteries and sew-alongs... Hope you are all keeping busy and healthy... Stay well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Etude de Cabines, my first truly modern quilt

While my EPP has progressed exponentially, and I'm enjoying it a lot - I had to struggle to finish another project - A modern quilt usin...